What the media says about Manchester City on Thursday 4 April 2013 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2012/13

Yaya ready to pen new Blues deal?

  • 04 April 2013 08:20
  • Posted by @markbooth_mcfc

We begin Thursday’s media round-up with a ‘world exclusive’ from The Sun, who are reporting that Yaya Toure has agreed terms on a new four-year deal with City.

After weeks of speculation linking the Ivorian with an Etihad Stadium exit, Sun journalist Antony Kastrinakis believes Yaya is ready to fulfil his desire to play out his career on the Blue side of Manchester.

“He has agreed to put pen to paper on a new contract worth £220,000 a week for four years,” Kastrinakis reports.

“The Ivory Coast superstar, 29, has been locked in talks with City officials since he got back from international duty last week.

“Midfielder Toure had become disillusioned at after contract talks had stalled for six months.

“His agent Dimitri Seluk exclusively revealed to SunSport last month that Toure was ready to quit unless his contract was sorted out quickly.

“City’s response was instant — and they moved to thrash out a new deal to hold on to one of their biggest stars.”

Yaya

Remember, nothing's official until you read it here - we’ll be first to bring you news of any contract renewals here on mcfc.co.uk.

Elsewhere, Bayern Munich are said to be monitoring the situation regarding Vincent Kompany on Goal.com.

The Bundesliga champions-elect are reportedly hoping the Belgian’s situation changes and he becomes available for transfer to bolster their squad for incoming boss Pep Guardiola.

“The Belgium defender felt the wrath of his boss at the end of March after turning out for his country despite missing City's previous eight matches with a calf injury,” writes Paul Clennam.

“And, although Bayern are well aware that the 26-year-old is keen to stay at the Etihad Stadium, they are waiting in the wings should the situation change.”

They may be in for a long wait, as Vincent showed no evidence of his passion for the club being dimmed with his rallying call ahead of Monday’s Manchester derby.

The 26-year old isn’t interested in dismissing the game as meaningless, despite the 15 point gap at the top – and is calling on his teammates to make City the ‘champions of Manchester’.

Happy

"It is always important as a group for everyone to take responsibility [for the points deficit],” Kompany is quoted as saying in the Guardian.

“Collectively it is disappointing. At the same time, I feel there is still a lot to look forward to. Whichever way we finish this season might set us up for the next one.

"I always remember the way we finished the season when we won the FA Cup [in 2011].

“We finished equal points with Chelsea, which was a massive boost for us. We secured a place in the Champions League and also won the FA Cup.

 

The year after that we went on to win the title. The end of one season has an impact on how you start the next one.

 

...Vincent Kompany...

"It will be like a one-off game. It will be like a cup final. There will be everything in it. For the neutrals we have enjoyed a couple of great derbies in the last couple of years.

“I can only wish the same with a happy ending for Manchester City.”

Like this? Share it.

Tickets

Neutral

Chelsea v City

FA Cup with Budweiser

Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:00:00 GMT

Ticketing

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow