And they call it puppy love!
- 04 February 2011 11:45
- Posted by Rosie Bass
If dogs are a man’s best friend then a Guide Dog is a blind or partially sighted person’s best friend forever!
Junior City fans are invited to get their thinking caps on to support one of the club’s nominated Charities of the Year, the Guide Dogs for the Blind, and maybe win themselves a fantastic day out for their efforts.
CITC Giving, the charitable giving arm of the club’s CSR policy, has made a £25,000 donation to Guide Dogs to sponsor five new puppies for the first year of their Guide Dog training. In time, each dog will be paired with a blind or partially sighted person, giving them the confidence and freedom to live an independent and fulfilled life. But first, every dog needs a name and that’s where we need your help!
Send in your suggestions for a name for one of our Guide Dog puppies and if you suggest one of the winning names you’ll be entered into a draw to win a fantastic visit to the Guide Dogs training centre in Atherton, accompanied by two first team City players!
You’ll meet puppies still undergoing training and grown dogs with their owners, for whom they’re making a life changing difference. You can have a go at trying the ‘blind walk’ obstacle course and, following your visit, will receive updates on the progress of the puppy that you have named.
To be in with a chance of winning this great prize, email your suggestion for a puppy name to firstname.lastname@example.org , including your name, age, supporter number and contact telephone number. This competition is open to City fans aged 16 and under and the winning names will be chosen by the CITC Giving team. Entries must be received no later than 5pm on Friday 11th February. For full Terms and Conditions please see below.
The Guide Dogs team visited City Square for the recent Santa Stroll and City’s Belgian centre half Dedryck Boyata had a go at completing the ‘blind walk’ obstacle course. Afterwards, he said:
You have no idea how much you take your sight for granted until it is taken away from you. As soon as I put the blindfold on I felt vulnerable and anxious.
"The Guide Dogs trainer introduced me to Delphi the puppy and showed me how to put my trust in him to guide me round the obstacle course. Delphi was incredible, making me feel completely comfortable and that he would take care of me.
“The work the Guide Dogs Association does is truly amazing and gives a whole new lease of life to everyone who receives a dog from them.”
For further information on the work of the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, please visit www.guidedogs.org.uk
CITC Giving is the new charitable-giving arm of the club’s CSR policy. Proactive local charities and not-for-profit organisations were invited to submit an application for the club’s support for a project that they felt would enable them to make a lasting and positive impact on the community in Greater Manchester. The club’s other chosen charities for the 2010-11 season are the Children’s Adventure Farm Trust, St Ann’s Hospice, CITC and the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
Terms & Conditions
1. All entrants must be 16 or under on 4th February 2010.
2. The winning names will be chosen by the CITC Giving team. If more than one person suggests a chosen name, a draw will be made to select the winning entrant.
3. All winning names will be submitted to the Guide Dogs Association for approval. Any names which are deemed offensive or inappropriate will not be considered.
4. The prize trip will take place in February half term (Monday 21st – Friday 25th) on a day to be confirmed by Manchester City FC.
5. The Guide Dogs Training School is at Gibfield Park Avenue, Atherton, M46 0SU. Manchester City will provide transport to the venue from the City of Manchester Stadium but winners are responsible for the cost and arrangement of their travel to Manchester and any overnight accommodation or meals required.
6. All five winners will visit the Guide Dog Training School on the same day.
7. Each winning child may be accompanied by one adult.
8. The Manchester City players who will be present will be confirmed on the day of the event.