Metrolink tests to close roads for Watford game
- Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:54PM
- Posted by Mark Booth
Supporters should be made aware that there will once again be road closures affecting the movement of traffic around the Etihad Stadium for Saturday's game against Watford due to on-going tests on the new Metrolink service.
In addition live trams (without passengers) will be running to test the line under match day conditions.
As work is progressing to create the new Metrolink line from Manchester Piccadilly to Ashton-under-Lyne, further testing is required of the services during a typical Manchester City home match.
For that reason, the council need to temporarily close Beswick Street at its junction with Merril Street and restrict vehicular access westbound along Merril Street from Ashton New Road.
These tests will take place between 4.30pm and 6pm on Saturday 5 January 2013 and will therefore affect supporters after full-time.
The purpose of the test is to determine measures required to improve the movement of traffic in the local area following the end of football games at the Etihad Stadium.
A local signposted diversion will be in place and vehicular access will be maintained via Pollard Street.
In addition, the Citylink walkway will be closed for this match for maintenance purposes.
- Live trams running post match (without passengers).
- Beswick Street at its junction with Merril Street will be closed between 4.30pm and 6pm.
- Vehicle access westbound along Merril Street from Ashton New Road (heading into the City centre) will be restricted between 4.30pm and 6pm.
- All traffic heading towards the city will be directed left onto Every Street.
- The Citylink walking route from Holt Town to City Square will not be re-opened for the match.
- Pedestrian access on Beswick Street, Pollard Street and Merril Street will be maintained at all time.
- This work will affect supporters after full-time of the Watford match on Saturday.