City v Nottingham Forest 03-01-2009 - News - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products


Continue to

Continue to
Home Strip season 0809
  • Manchester City

    City 0

  • Nottingham Forest

    Nottingham Forest 3

    0-1 Tyson 38, 0-2 Earnshaw 42, 0-3 Garner 75

  • Match reports
  • 03 January 2009 17:00
  • Posted by Leon Collins
  • Share this:
  • Share
  • Link
  • Tweet
  • +1
  • Email this
  • More channels


Mark Hughes makes three changes to the side that fought back to secure a draw at Blackburn last week. Robinho, Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha all miss out with Daniel Sturridge earning a starting place following his fine substitute showing at Ewood Park.

Micah Richards comes back into the side for Onuoha and Gelson Fernandes replaces the hamstrung Ireland.

The match

The game kicked off to a lively atmosphere – helped somewhat by a noisy 6,000 or so from Nottingham in the South Stand.

The City fans for their part were buoyed by the introduction of new signing Wayne Bridge prior to the start and they gave him a great reception.

As for the game Forest posed the first threat inside two minutes as Nathan Tyson’s dangerous left footed cross from the right was headed just wide by Lewis McGugan from about six-yards out.

City’s best chance in the opening exchanges was a Sturridge header on 11 minutes from Elano’s corner which needed Paul Smith in the Forest goal to push away.

Forest were dealt a blow after 18 minutes as they had to replace their captain, James Perch, with Kelvin Wilson. Perch had earlier been caught following an aerial challenge with Vincent Kompany.

The Blues had an injury blow of their own to deal with on 24 minutes as Shaun Wright-Phillips went off and straight down the tunnel with a possible thigh problem. Darius Vassell replaced the former Forest apprentice.

Sturridge again forced Smith into a save on 37 minutes as he low, sharp shot caused the Forest keeper smartly down to his left to paw behind for a corner.

But less than a minute later the South Stand erupted as Nathan Tyson struck a vicious blow to give Forest the lead. Micah Richards' headed clearance fell to the striker about 20-yards from goal and as it dropped Tyson hit a fine volley to leave Joe Hart helpless.

City were shaken and further shell shocked on 42 minutes as Robert Earnshaw diverted Matt Thornhill's mishit shot into the goal to cue further wild scenes amongst the away fans.

In the blink of an eye City's domestic cup hopes were hanging by a thread for another season. A stiff talking to would be in order at the break.

HALF TIME: City 0-2 Forest

City were out early for the second 45 the message from Mark Hughes clearly short and to the point!

And his side responded with the early pressure in the second half. On 50 minutes Kompany's fine run gave Caicedo a sight of goal and his powerful effort was well turned over by Smith.

A minute later Caicedo bettered his attempt with a lovely left footed shot from outside the box only to see Smith equal to it again as he touched it over for another corner. 

The threat of Forest was still there and on 55 minutes winger Paul Anderson sped past Dunne before dragging his shot wide from the edge of the box.

On the hour mark Fernandes was replaced by Didi Hamann as Hughes thought the German's calm head could help City out of the situation they were in.

With 20 minutes to go Caicedo, one of the only bright spots on the day for City, was replaced by Jo.

Richard Dunne then led a one man crusade on the Forest side with a captain's run as he broke through tackle after tackle before his run ended with Elano's low cross being put behind by Smith.

The game was up on 75 minutes though as Hamann's poor throw-in went straight through the City defence and to the feet of substitute Joe Garner for his first touch. The young striker then steadied himself in the box before firing low past Hart inside his near post.

City were playing like a beaten side and could now add Nottingham Forest to the list of cup giant killers they have fallen victim to down the years.

The final whistle blew to a mixture of boos and cheers as Forest's fans prepared to sing and dance all the way home after booking their place in the fourth round of the cup.

FULL TIME: City 0-3 Forest

Match details

Saturday 03 January 2009, 3:00PM

City of Manchester Stadium Att:31,869
FA Cup

L. Probert


Manchester City:

Hart, Zabaleta, Richards, Dunne, Ball, Kompany, Fernandes (Hamann 60), Elano, Wright-Phillips (Vassell 24), Sturridge, Caicedo (Jo 70).

Unused subs:
Schmeichel (GK), Garrido, Berti, Clayton.

Dunne 63

Nottingham Forest:

Smith, Chambers, Morgan, Breckin, Anderson, Perch (Wilson 18), McGugan, Thornhill, Cohen, Earnshaw (Garner 73), Tyson (Davies 81).

Unused subs:
Richardson (GK), Byrne, Heath, Reid.

All times are taken from a live feed and are approximate at time of publishing.
  • Share this:
  • Share
  • Link
  • Tweet
  • +1
  • Email this
  • More channels

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.