On this day in Manchester City history: 14 March - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products


Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
Robbie Fowler Manchester City Season 0506
Season 2015/16

On This Day: 14 March

  • 14 March 2016 10:42
  • Posted by @kareem_kaddouri

Join us as we take a look back to games and events from this date in City history...


Newcastle United visited Maine Road on this day in 1959 for some First Division action. City were struggling in the lower realms of the table and Newcastle were in 13th place, five spots ahead of the Blues.

It was a five-star performance from City as they dismantled Newcastle 5-1. 

The prolific Joe Hayes (pictured left) was the stand-out performer, scoring twice on the day. However City would continue to struggle after this outing, managing to stay in the division by a single point.


Division Two leaders City travelled to Roker Park looking to carry on the momentum of a 4-2 win against Leicester City three days earlier. 

The opposition, Sunderland, were lingering in mid-table with no real chance of promotion. Trevor Morley was amongst the scorers for City as the Blues won 4-2 and cemented top spot. Morley had scored a hat-trick against Leicester and his strike against Sunderland brought his tally for the season so far to nine. Also on the scoresheet were David White, with two, and Nigel Gleghorn.

Chelsea would go on to win the division but City finished in second to secure promotion back to the First Division.


Robbie Fowler's habit of taunting United fans with Liverpool's European Cup tally while he was playing for City was not endearing to either set of fans, but the blue half forgave his indulgences after his and Jon Macken’s goals put City in the driving seat in the Manchester derby. 

Paul Scholes reduced arrears but Trevor Sinclair (pictured) made it 3-1 before a spectacular Shaun Wright-Phillips solo strike sent the City of Manchester Stadium wild to make it 4-1 and seal the points.


Strikes from Georgios Samaras (pictured) and Darius Vassell gave City a well deserved win over Aston Villa in a FA Cup fifth round replay on this day in 2006.

Resilient defending from Villa ensured the tie had gone to a replay in a game that the Blues dominated. However at the City of Manchester Stadium it was the home side that got the breakthrough. The Blues were looking comfortable at 2-0, until in the 85th minute a goal from Steven Davis set-up a nervy finish. 

City were able to hold on and win a place in the last eight of the FA Cup for the first time since 1993.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.