On this day in Manchester City history: 7 March - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products


Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
Season 2015/16

On This Day: 7 March

  • 07 March 2016 10:53
  • Posted by @kareem_kaddouri

Join us as we take a look back to games and events from this date in City history...

There has been plenty of action on and off the pitch on this date over the years, here are some of the highlights...


City travelled to Fratton Park looking to pick up a win after succumbing to a 4-1 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers the week before. 

The Blues were sitting dangerously close to the relegation zone, but faced a Portsmouth side that was rooted to the bottom of the old First Division. As expected, with two teams playing near the bottom of the table, it was a nervous affair and defensive mistakes contributed to a high-scoring spectacle.

Goals from Paddy Fagan, Billy McAdams, Joe Hayes (pictured one the left, with Jack Dyson) and Ray Sambrook gave City that much-needed win by a 4-3 scoreline. The Blues continued to struggle, winning only twice more in the remaining 11 games and finished the season only one point above the relegation places.


City’s preparations for their first League Cup final against West Brom were thrown into chaos for a number of reasons. A midweek European Cup Winners’ Cup tie in Portugal against Academica ended 0-0, but snow and fog meant the team couldn't fly back into London as planned and instead had to go to Birmingham and travel to London by coach. 

Worse still, the Horse of the Year Show had turned Wembley’s hallowed turf into a quagmire and a blanket of snow put the game in doubt. However, a team of volunteers cleared the pitch and the referee passed the pitch as playable, though City boss Joe Mercer described the surface as no more than a “cabbage patch”.

A mix-up in the City defence just six minutes into the game allowed Jeff Astle to open the scoring for Albion. The Blues were made of sturdy stuff, however, and despite the arduous journey and sapping pitch, Mike Doyle equalised to force the game into extra time. City full-back Glyn Pardoe was the unlikely hero, bundling the ball home from close range to give Mercer’s side their first League Cup triumph.


On this day in 1981 City’s hopes of reaching the FA Cup Final were boosted following Paul Power’s late equaliser at Everton. 

The Blues were twice behind at Goodison Park against a vibrant home side, but Gerry Gow (pictured below) and then Power earned John Bond’s side a 2-2 draw and a replay at Maine Road. More than 10,000 City fans had travelled along the M62 to Merseyside to watch what was a thrilling game.


City lost 4-2 at home to Tottenham in an FA Cup quarter-final at Maine Road on this day 23 years ago. 

There was an air of optimism surrounding the game with the new Platt Lane Stand open for the first time, and with the game being shown live on the BBC to an audience of millions. 

Despite Mike Sheron nodding the Blues ahead, Spurs hit back to take a 4-1 lead, at which point some home fans invaded the pitch. After order was restored Terry Phelan scored a magnificent solo goal to make it 4-2, but the crowd trouble that hogged all the headlines.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.