What the media says about Manchester City 14 August - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2013/14

Mail: City set to make final bid for Pepe

  • 14 August 2013 09:08
  • Posted by @porter_mcfc

The case for the defence continues to dominate the City transfer headlines, with the Blues still said to be chasing a centre back.

 A trio of La Liga-based targets top the bill this morning, with media round up regular Pepe first up. The Daily Mail reports that City are set to make one final bid for the Real Madrid man in an attempt to prise him away from the Bernabeu.

The paper’s Chris Wheeler explains: “Pepe has always been Pellegrini’s first-choice but Real rejected a £15m offer for the Portugal international last month and insist they want him to stay at the Bernabeu.

“City are set to mount another bid before they kick off the new season at home to Newcastle on Monday and hope that an improved offer in excess of £20m for a player who turned 30 in February may convince Real to change their mind.”

However, if a deal for Pepe fails to materialise the Blues have already lined up an alternative in Atletico Madrid’s Martin Demichelis – at least, if a report in the Daily Express is to be believed.

The Argentinian completed a move to the Spanish capital just last month, but could now be set to reunite with Manuel Pellegrini in Manchester, after the pair spent the last two seasons together at Malaga.

Writes Ben Jefferson: “Madrid are believed to be willing to countenance Pepe's departure but only if City meet their £30m valuation, something Begiristain maintains he will not do.

“And according to Spanish radio station Cadena Cope the City sporting director could make use of his time in Madrid to enquire about an alternative target - Atletico's Martin Demichelis.

"Demichelis would appear to be an unlikely target for City, having only signed a one-year deal at Atletico Madrid this summer after joining on a free transfer from Malaga.”

Make of that one what you will, then!

Finally, Sevilla President Jose Maria del Nido has moved to end speculation of a Premier League switch for reported City target, Geoffrey Kondogbia, according to the Daily Express

The French midfielder has attracted interest from clubs around Europe this summer, but the Spanish side are now said to have stalled any potential move.

“Reports in Spain suggest that Del Nido has reached an agreement with the company that owns half of Kondogbia's rights whereby he won't be allowed to move this summer,” Jefferson reports.

“Del Nido said: ‘He is off the market.’

“However, the decision may still be taken out of Del Nido's hands with the Sevilla president accepting that he would still be forced to let Kondogbia depart if anyone meets the 20-year-old's buyout clause which stands at ‘€20m (£17m) plus VAT’. 

“While Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea are sure to take Del Nido's comments into account, the fact that a buy-out clause remains means that the player could still make a move this summer, despite previously stating he is happy to remain at Sevilla until after next year's World Cup.”

That’s about everything for today but we’ll be back tomorrow morning with your daily dose of paper talk.

Remember, nothing is confirmed until you read it here on mcfc.co.uk!

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow