TalkSport: Lescott eager to extend City stay
- 16 August 2013 08:41
- Posted by @markbooth_mcfc
With all of the recent paper talk linking City with a move for a central defender, one man already at the club has issued a stern reminder that he will fight for the spot alongside Vincent Kompany.
Since Matija Nastasic picked up an ankle injury in Hong Kong, Pepe, Martin Demichelis and Daniel Agger have all been put in the frame for a move to the Etihad Stadium but Joleon Lescott is determined to stick around and win a new contract.
Lescott turns 31 today and, in an interview with TalkSport yesterday, he revealed that he’s ready to win back a regular place in the XI.
“No one likes to see colleagues and fellow professionals get injured but if it means me starting then great,” Joleon said.
"If [Pellegrini] does call upon me then I'd like to say I'd give 100 per cent and do his decision justice.
"I'm in the last year of my contract now so I've got to get my head down and try and earn a new one here and remain here. It's nice to be a part of this club and it's nice to know that I came at the start when the club were in transition and as they started winning things."
“It hurts not winning the Premier League and it probably hurts a little bit more that it was Manchester United that took it from us but the determination is still there and the desire and hunger.
“We were disappointed not to win and we weren’t too far away. We know that in certain periods of the season we didn’t play as well as we can and that’s the thing, consistency throughout the season.
“The most consistent team throughout the year tends to win the Premier League.”
I’m sure you’ll all join me in wishing Joleon a very happy birthday!
Elsewhere, one man who could be heading out of Manchester in the near future is Scott Sinclair, who has been heavily linked with a move to West Brom.
Baggies boss Steve Clarke has admitted that there has been contact with City over the winger but that discussions are still taking place.
"I know there was initial contact between the clubs and I know there has been continued contact between the clubs," the Scot said.
"Beyond that, I don't know if we are close to a deal or if we are far away from a deal. There are still talks ongoing at this moment in time."
Of course we’ll be first to let you know of any incomings or outgoings here on mcfc.co.uk.
Now I’m sure you won’t need me to remind you that the Premier League returns after a three month absence this weekend.
While the country puts finishing touches on Fantasy Football teams and finalises the pots for prediction leagues, every man, woman and child has been having a say on where they think that the Premier League trophy will end up in May.
In BT Sport’s Premier League preview this week, Owen Hargreaves, Michael Owen and David James all put forward cases for Chelsea, while former Blue Steve McManaman plumped for City.
Dietmar Hamann also believes that the title is coming back to the Etihad Stadium, stating his belief to ESPN that City have spent the most wisely out of all of the contenders this summer.
There are all manner of season previews out there on the newsstands this morning and it’s fair to say that Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea are the most fancied team out there this season, with City and United second and third.
Time will tell, but if you want to there for the big kick-off, tickets are still available for City’s opening Premier League engagement against Newcastle United on Monday night.
If you’d like to see the Blues take their first steps towards trying to regain the Premier League crown, book now for what promises to be an exciting night under the lights of the Etihad Stadium.