What the media says about Manchester City 21 December - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2013/14

Kompany will keep Blues grounded

  • 21 December 2013 10:16
  • Posted by @dclayton_mcfc

City captain Vincent Kompany will not allow the Blues’ recent hot streak to cloud the focus of his team-mates.

Kompany knows that the fizz can turn flat within the blink of an eye if you take your eye off the ball and that’s something he isn’t prepared to allow.

Richard Tanner in the Daily Express writes: “Kompany has warned Manchester City they could blow their hopes in three competitions over the next three weeks if they allow any complacency to creep into their game.

“City are looking to move into the Premier League’s top spot over the four-game Christmas and new year period before launching their FA Cup campaign against Blackburn and taking on West Ham in the Capital One Cup semi-final first leg.

“And captain Kompany, no doubt recalling that City have dropped vital points over Christmas in the past three seasons, believes the hectic spell of six games in 17 days could make or break their chances of domestic success.

‘Nothing is won in December but a lot could be lost,’ he said.

 

You don’t win anything but you could go out of the Capital One Cup as well as the FA Cup, and you could lose two or three games and be out of the title race

 

...Vincent Kompany...

‘At the moment we are doing the right things but nothing more than that. Every day we have to hammer it. We can’t lose a percentage because it will cost us.

‘This is my sixth season in the Premier League and every time this has been the period when you start realising which teams might go on and win it and which teams are maybe not the real deal. That is what’s at stake. Games come thick and fast. If you have bad form it can cost you.’”

Wise words as ever, Vincent.

The Guardian focus on the possible return of Joe Hart to the starting line-up. The England No.1 has been rested from Premier League action since October but Jamie Jackson believes he will resume duties against Fulham this afternoon.

He writes: “Joe Hart will play his first Premier League game since late October at Fulham on Saturday afternoon after being reinstated as the Manchester City No1 by the manager, Manuel Pellegrini.

“Hart was dropped following the mistake that allowed Fernando Torres to score the later winner in Chelsea's 2-1 victory over City at Stamford Bridge on 27 October. Pellegrini's decision to leave Hart out followed a series of errors for City and England that continued his uneven form of the last year.

“Hart has played only three times for City since Chelsea  – in two dead Champions League rubbers and Tuesday evening's Capital One Cup quarter-final win at Leicester City. The 26-year-old also started in England's 1-0 friendly defeat by Germany at Wembley on 19 November as Roy Hodgson, the manager, kept faith in Hart as his first choice for the national team.”

You can find out the Blues’ starting line-up first on our Match Day Centre and MCFC Twitter accounts later this afternoon.

Like this? Share it.

westham

West Ham tickets on general sale

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow