What the media says about Manchester City on 20 January 2013 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2012/13

Transfer Window: Day 20

  • 20 January 2013 09:02
  • Posted by @markbooth_mcfc

AC Milan CEO Andriano Galliani last night admitted that his club are trying to do a deal to bring Mario Balotelli to the San Siro.

The stumbling block is that both clubs appear to be a long way from each other in terms of valuation, according to Andy Turner in today’s Observer.

“The deal that would see the 22-year-old return to Serie A and the club of his choice hinges on the Premier League defending champions' asking price of €37m (£31m).

“But Galliani said Milan were still eager to sign the player, provided the price is right. He told Gazzetta dello Sport: ‘At the end of Friday, Manchester City still said €37m. We will see on Monday. Under these conditions, he will remain at Manchester City.’”

In the same paper, Paul Wilson’s match report from the 2-0 win over Fulham reflects on a one-sided encounter.

“It had been said beforehand that City's bench alone would probably be strong enough to see off Fulham, and the longer the match went on the more you wondered whether Roberto Mancini might be tempted to try that in the name of entertainment,” wrote Wilson.

“He didn't, of course, though when Pablo Zabaleta could no longer continue after kicking Hangeland's studs instead of the ball, he rather sportingly sent on Samir Nasri when Aleksandar Kolarov or Joleon Lescott would have made a more like-for-like replacement.

“It was not quite the cockle-warmer the home supporters were hoping for on the chilliest of days, though the cold facts are that with four straight league wins since the slip up at Sunderland, City are still on United's tail.

“As United themselves know very well, you don't get added points for style.”

Quite.

david

Elsewhere, the rumour linking City with a move for coiffed playmaker Will Hughes appears to be fizzling out, as Derby reportedly won’t even accept a £10m bid.

“City’s presence at Derby’s matches has prompted reports that a £10million offer – that could include an Etihad player moving in the opposite direction – will be tabled this month,” reports Tom Hopkinson in the Sunday Sport this morning.

“But Sunday People Sport understands that Derby consider that figure well short of Hughes’s true value and even a higher bid would be rejected.

“Nigel Clough’s side are still in the hunt for the play-offs and want Hughes to help them win promotion.”

Joleon Lescott has also shown what a classy operator he is yet again, by heaping praise on Matija Nastasic on Twitter last night.

Responding to a fan’s question on what he thought of the Serbian defender who started at centre back yesterday, Joleon said: "[Nastasic is] a candidate for player of the season. Not enough people talking about him, if he was English people would be raving."

We are certainly spoilt for choice in the centre-half department!

We’ll bring you news of any new arrivals or departures in the January window first here on mcfc.co.uk.

Like this? Share it.

promo

Barclays Asia Trophy

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow