What the media says about Manchester City on 11 July 2013 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2013/14

Daily Star: City to enter chase for Ronaldo?

  • 11 July 2013 09:20
  • Posted by @porter_mcfc

City are set to go toe to toe with Manchester United for the signature of two stars according to this morning’s papers – starting with Cristiano Ronaldo.

Speculation has been circling around the Real Madrid star for a while now, with a return to Old Trafford said to be on the cards.

However City could now be set to offer the Portuguese frontman a Premier League return on the blue side of Manchester – according to the Daily Star.

“City have decided to break the bank to attract the Real Madrid star to the Etihad if he becomes available this summer,” reports Duncan Wright.

“And they have told the Ronaldo camp they are prepared to beat any financial offer United put to him - meaning they could pay more than £300,000-a-week to get their man.”

Sticking with the Manchester theme, the Mirror claims that City are set to win the race for Stevan Jovetic ahead of the Old Trafford outfit – who are said to have entered the chase for his signature at a late stage.

The Fiorentina striker has been linked with the Blues for weeks, and the report explains that any approach from David Moyes will not prevent Manuel Pellegrini from getting his man.  

Writes Martin Lipton: “New boss Manuel Pellegrini has pushed hard to land the 23-year-old Montenegro international, who had also been targeted by Arsenal, Chelsea and Juventus, for his new-look Blues.

“But while the new Old Trafford chief David Moyes made a last-minute attempt to try to prise Jovetic out of City's arms, Pellegrini is on the brink of winning his first Manchester battle.

“Jovetic's agent, Fali Ramadani, held intensive talks with City sporting director Txiki Begiristain on Wednesday after the Florence club gave the green light.”

You can watch Manuel Pellegrini talk about the need for another striker and the Manchester rivalry in his first City press conference here.

Finally for today, Sergio Aguero has apparently told friends he is keen on a move to Barcelona – if a report in the Daily Express is to be believed.

Sergioweb3

The Argentine striker rejected claims of a move to Real Madrid earlier this summer, but now rumours of a La Liga return are surfacing again.

“Catalan publication Sport has it that the Barcelona coaching staff have given their approval to a move even though former Camp Nou executives Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain may be unwilling to part with their prize asset,” Charles Perrin writes.

There are no quotes with that one, and it’s worth remembering that Sergio agreed a contract extension with the Blues in May.

We’ll be back with more media transfer speculation tomorrow, but remember any ins or outs at the club are only confirmed when you read it here on mcfc.co.uk!


This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow