What the media says about Manchester City on 2 July 2013 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2013/14

Express: City face competition for Osvaldo

  • 02 July 2013 08:46
  • Posted by @porter_mcfc

A possible replacement for Carlos Tevez remains at the forefront of City speculation.

Roma striker Pablo Osvaldo is another name to have been linked with the Blues, but the Daily Express suggests City will have to go toe to toe with Atletico Madrid to secure his services. 

The Italian international netted 16 times in Serie A last season, and is now reported to have caught the eye of several clubs across Europe.

Charles Perrin writes: “The Citizens are looking to freshen up their attacking line-up after seeing Carlos Tevez join Juventus for £10m.

“Though they are also tracking Brazil's Confederations Cup hero Fred, Osvaldo is also on their shortlist.

“A report in Spanish publication Marca suggests Atletico are plotting a move for Osvaldo as they seek to fill the void left behind by Radamel Falcao.”

Fred scored twice for Brazil against Spain in the Confederations Cup final on Sunday, and reports of a possible move were quick to emerge.

However, a story on goal.com suggests that Fluminese’s Director of Football, Rodrigo Caetano, has moved quickly to cool talk of the striker swapping Rio de Janeiro for Manchester.

The website quotes him as saying: "‘Fred is under contract with Fluminense, he is very happy at the club and we are very satisfied with him,’ Caetano told ESPN Brazil.

“The striker, who returned to his homeland from Ligue 1 side Lyon in 2009, would only have his head turned by ‘a really great offer’.

"‘I am doing great at Fluminense and I will only leave the club if there is a really great offer,’ he declared.”

Finally, Aleks Kolarov has been linked with Inter Milan and Juventus in recent weeks, but the Daily Express reports that Galatasaray have joined the chase to prise the 27-year-old away from the Etihad Stadium.

Kolarovweb1

The article states: “Galatasaray have made a £1.25m offer to take the defender on loan, with the option to buy outright for £5m.

“City would prefer a sale to claw back some of their £16m outlay.

“Kolarov recently opened the door to the possibility of leaving the Etihad this summer, citing regular football as key to his future plans.”

However, it’s worth noting that the Serbian defender took to twitter last week to give his side of the story about press speculation at that time.


So remember, it’s only official if you read it here on mcfc.co.uk!


Fernandinho shirt

Get Fernandinho's Shirt!

navas

Get Jesus Navas's Shirt!

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow