What the media says about Manchester City on 18 March 2013 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2012/13

City to tempt Neymar?

  • 18 March 2013 08:52
  • Posted by @porter_mcfc

With Saturday’s loss to Everton still fresh in the mind of the media, the tabloids make for gloomy reading again today.

The Daily Star leads the way by suggesting that the Blues should follow the example set by David Moyes and his side at the weekend with a strong response to a preceding disappointing defeat.

“The Goodison side’s response to their disastrous FA Cup exit at the hands of Wigan was the perfect example of a side finding strength in adversity and digging deep in the most trying of circumstances,” writes the paper’s Ian Murtagh.

“Many sides wilt in the face of crushing disappointment and Roberto Mancini’s side’s reaction to the tame surrender of their crown will test their mental fortitude.

“Goodison Park could have hosted a wake on Saturday lunchtime.

“Instead, it witnessed redemption as City suffered the same fate as their Manchester rivals and headed home pointless.”

kolo

You can read David Clayton's official take on the game here

However, for fans who prefer to look ahead this morning, there is some transfer speculation to sink your teeth into.

City are set to tempt exciting Brazilian forward Neymar away from potential suitors Barcelona - according to the Daily Mirror.

The paper’s Richard Arrowsmith reports that the Blues are set to make a late £50m bid, as well as offer a compensation fee and higher wages for the Santos star to move to the Etihad.

He writes: “The Catalan club are believed to have a pre-contract with the Santos forward that will see him move to Europe either this summer or after the 2014 World Cup in his homeland - and Neymar would have to pay a massive compensation sum if he breaks it.

“Real Madrid are also monitoring the situation with both clubs making it clear that they would cover compensation costs and offer the 21-year-old better personal terms if he moves to them.

“The Blues director of football Txiki Begiristain, who was at Barcelona as sporting director when the club began scouting Neymar, visited Brazil earlier this year to enquire about the player's availability.

“Despite Pele warning the youngster off the English game, Neymar is seen as a potential replacement for Carlos Tevez who has one year remaining on his £200,000-a-week contract at the Etihad.”

Watch Neymar in action here:

Elsewhere, Talksport reports that City are tracking a Feyenoord youngster who has been compared to Patrick Vieira - but could face competition from Chelsea.

The website explains: “Manchester City and Chelsea could be set to fight it out for one of Holland's next big things, with stories emerging that they are both tracking Feyenoord youngster Rodney Kongolo. At 15, he has no professional contract with Feyenoord, so the Dutch club may fear for the worst with the two Premier League giants circling.”

Remember, we’ll bring you any official transfer news on mcfc.co.uk first.

Like this? Share it.

Tickets

Neutral

City v Wigan

FA Cup with Budweiser

Sat, 11 May 2013 17:15:00 GMT

Ticketing

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow