Express: City still in pole position for Mangala?
- 17 April 2014 07:26
- Posted by @markbooth_mcfc
Wow, 7am really feels like 7am when you’re compiling the media round-up on the morning after a disappointing result.
Aye, it’s a struggle to find anything you'll want to spend too long leafing through in Thursday’s headlines after City’s 2-2 draw with Sunderland.
Is our title race run after that? Many seem to think so – especially the Guardian's harbinger of doom, Paul Wilson.
His piece, entitled: “City's season promised so much but could end in a whimper” is a gruelling read.
"Don't be fooled by the entertainingly frantic last few minutes when Samir Nasri rescued a point, then fired too high with an opportunity for a last-gasp winner as City rekindled memories of the final day of 2011-12," Wilson asserts.
"For the most part this game brought to mind the City of 2012-13 – uncoordinated, ineffective and nowhere near the title.
“It is hard to know what has hit City the hardest, defeat at Anfield or the loss of a couple of key players.
“But if this was supposed to be a response to the setback at the weekend, a rallying cry for the rest of the run-in, it was a fiasco only partly salvaged by the late equaliser that resulted in the points being shared.
“City look shattered. Chelsea and Liverpool will be hugely encouraged.”
Onto less harrowing matters as speculation on the summer’s transfer business continues apace inside the back pages.
Express journalist Ben Jefferson thinks that City are still in pole position to land Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala.
“Mangala was close to joining the Citizens in the winter transfer window only for a deal to fall through at the last minute despite a £30m fee having been agreed,” Jefferson writes.
“Both United and Chelsea had hoped to capitalise on City's inability to seal the move by making a move for the French international at the end of the season.
“Monaco are also believed to have shown strong interest in Mangala only to be told that he strongly favours a move to the Premier League.”
The Spanish midfielder was linked with the Italian club earlier in the week but his agent has moved to dismiss the reports.
“Garcia has not been a first choice under Manuel Pellegrini this season and has been tipped to go as part of the City's summer shake-up,” Anderson reports.
“But the Spaniard's agent Manuel Garcia Quillon claims he will not be heading to Inter.”
Quillon told Calcio Mercato: "There is absolutely nothing in it, no contact.
"Nobody has called me. Inter is not a possible hypothesis."
Of course mcfc.co.uk is your first port of call for confirmed transfer stories this summer.