Mail: Silva service for Everton trip?
- 30 April 2014 08:10
- Posted by @dclayton_mcfc
City could be handed a major boost ahead of the weekend trip to Everton with reports David Silva is closing in on a return.
The Daily Mail’s Chris Wheeler is among several journalists who believe the influential Spaniard, mystifyingly absent from the PFA Team of the Year, is on the verge of returning against the Toffees.
Writes Wheeler: “David Silva is on course to rejoin Manchester City’s title challenge after stepping up his recovery from an ankle injury on Tuesday.
“The Spain playmaker has missed two of the last three games with the problem and was carried off against West Brom after aggravating it last week.
“However, Silva warmed up with the rest of the squad at Carrington before training outdoors on his own yesterday, and City are cautiously optimistic that he could play a part in Saturday’s crunch game at Everton.”
Away from the title race and also in the Mail, Mike Dawes suggests one City defender could be heading back to Serie A in the summer.
He writes: “Roma are keen on Manchester City left-back Aleksandar Kolarov.
“The 28-year-old has one year left on contract at City and Roma would struggle to match his wages but he is keen to play more games.
“Both Milan sides, Juventus and Monaco are also interested. Roma also want Tottenham midfielder Paulinho, 25.”
Staying with the trip to Goodison Park, the first defiant murmurings from the Everton players have begun to emerge ahead of the crucial game against City.
With Roberto Martinez’s side still challenging for a Champions League spot, the Blues will be expecting nothing less than a difficult afternoon Saturday – particularly with City’s poor record at Goodison in recent years
“Despite slipping four points behind Arsenal in the race for a Champions League spot with just two games to play, Osman claims that the Toffees will be fully focused as they look to help rivals Liverpool in a match against one of their title rivals,” writes Sports Mole’s Callum Mulvihill.
‘We're professionals and it's what we do,’ the midfielder told reporters. ‘It's a big game at Goodison and we want to enjoy it and win it.
‘City needed to rely on a slip-up by Liverpool to give them a chance so they're probably favourites now and it's up to us to stop them.
‘A lot of clubs will be watching this game very closely but we've got to put all that out of our minds and do what we always do and go into the game to win.’”
Finally, TalkSport’s Adrian Durham has slammed Crystal Palace fans for the banner they displayed prior to the match with City on Sunday.
Picked up by the TV cameras, Durham believes it was an insult to the Blues and the supporters who made the trip to Selhurst Park.
Writing in his Daily Mail column, Durham’s words were picked up by the Croydon Advertiser: "That embarrassing effort at Selhurst Park.
"Palace fans spent time and energy making a banner aimed at their Manchester City opponents on Sunday which declared: ‘You Got the Money, We Got the Soul.’
"I laughed out loud at this nonsense, thought up by someone who has no idea about - and didn’t bother to research - the amount of incredible work in the community Manchester City Football Club’s owners have done, and what a fantastic facility they are creating for locals to use in and around the Etihad Stadium.
"The logic that says a club with money can’t possibly have a soul is flawed everywhere you look – are you telling me Real Madrid have no soul?
"The Man City fans who were on the away terrace at York’s Bootham Crescent ground in December 1998 and saw their team lose 2-1 probably still go to the Etihad today.
"They know about the soul of a football club. And everything is relative of course.
"So when Palace offered to shovel a shedload more money than any other club into Bosman striker Glenn Murray’s bank account to secure his services back in 2011, was that the Eagles losing their soul?
"It seems with songs and banners some fans have lost their way in the Premier League this season."