Mirror: City turned down Di Maria opportunity
- 24 August 2014 07:26
- Posted by @dclayton_mcfc
City turned down the chance to sign Angel di Maria - according to the Sunday Mirror.
The article reads: “Angel di Maria will join Manchester United in a British record transfer - after rivals Manchester City turned down the chance to sign him.
“Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal that United will pay Real Madrid £60million for the Argentina winger.
“He is the big-name signing that United fans have craved. But they will be devastated to hear that Di Maria's advisers contacted City after the World Cup to gauge their interest.
“The winger wanted to link up at the Etihad with international team-mates Zabaleta and Aguero, but City said they weren't interested. A senior City source confirmed: ‘We were approached about the possibility of signing Di Maria. he made it clear he wanted to come here.
‘The deal offered was €75million with another €10m in add-ons. But we were not interested in making it happen.’”
Staying with the Mirror, Tom Hopkinson writes about a battle Willy Caballero had to win away from football – and fortunately there is a happy ending to what was a traumatic period in his life.
“Manchester City's new keeper Willy Caballero is inspired by his daughter’s brave cancer battle,” writes Hopkinson.
“The 32-year-old arrived at the Etihad this summer to compete with England shot-stopper Joe Hart for the club’s No.1 spot. But football issues are easily put into context for the Argentinian.
“Daughter Guillermina was diagnosed with a rare retinal cancer in 2006 that left her without vision.
“Caballero quit club football at Spanish side Elche to return to his homeland and dedicate his time to the three-year-old. Thankfully, Guillermina made a full recovery. But the memories are constantly with Caballero.
“He said: ‘The worst moment in my life was back in 2006, when my daughter was diagnosed with an eye cancer. “It was a case in a million. It’s unbelievable that someone so young must suffer from something like that.
We had to go through that as a family. We suffered a lot for six months. In fact, I had to quit football. I went back to Argentina to play at Arsenal Sarandi – but I hardly played there. I didn’t even want to play. And I didn’t care about it.
I just needed to be in Argentina helping out my daughter Guillermina and my wife. I needed to be with them. Fortunately, Guillermina is recovered nowadays and she is so very happy
Elsewhere, The Mail on Sunday’s Rob Draper believes City loan signing Frank Lampard could be set for an international call-up in the next few days, writing: “Lampard is in the frame for a surprise place in the England squad despite not having played this season.
“Roy Hodgson will name his England squad this week and is seriously considering the former Chelsea star because of an injury crisis in his midfield," reports Draper.
“Lampard is likely to be joined by Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph or Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse, both inexperienced players.
“Hodgson had previously indicated he would turn to Lampard only in emergencies but he may be forced to do so given his lack of midfield options.”
Lastly, former Liverpool striker-turned-pundit Michael Owen reckons his old club can leave the Etihad tomorrow evening with at least a point.
Owen thinks the visitors have more flexibility in their system as opposed to City’s ‘rigid’ formation.
Quoted by Here Is the City’s Subhankar Mondal, Owen says: ‘If there is one criticism of the excellent City boss Manuel Pellegrini it would be he rarely, if ever, changes from a rigid 4-4-2 formation whilst I see Liverpool being a more fluid outfit’
‘Liverpool were not at their best against Southampton but their pace and ability means they can hurt even the best of sides and they might just get something from what promises to be a terrific game.’”.
More gossip, rumour and transfer latest tomorrow…