What the media says about MCFC: 26 July 2014 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2014/15

SkySports: City hoping to seal deal for Kelechi Iheanacho

  • 26 July 2014 09:00
  • Posted by @roline_mcfc

It's no surprise Kelechi Iheanacho is the name on everyone's lips at the moment.

Since his impressive display in Thursday morning's friendly against Sporting Kansas City in which he netted the fourth and final goal, the youngster has been a prominent name in the headlines.

And today is no different.

A host of media sources feature the playmaker in their stories, including SkySports who claim City will look to tie up a deal after their pre-season tour of the United States.

An article on their website reads: "The 17-year-old has agreed to link up with City but a work permit will be required in order for him to compete in England and the required paperwork is yet to be processed.

"City are prepared to keep pushing the relevant authorities, with Iheanacho having shown what an exciting talent he is by scoring in a 4-1 victory over Sporting Kansas City.

"Manuel Pellegrini believes the youngster is destined for a bright future and would like to see his potential unlocked at the Etihad Stadium.

"He is, however, also aware that there are a number of obstacles to overcome before a player who starred for Nigeria at the World U17 Championship in 2013 can be added to the City ranks."

manuel

Paul Handler of the Manchester Evening News has put together a profile on the midfielder, along with another one for Bruno Zuculini.

He writes: "On first look, Kelechi Iheanacho looks a great prospect.

"He was a livewire up front against Sporting KC in City's first tour match and looks quick and mobile, pulling the home defenders all over the place.

"He certainly doesn't lack confidence, firing off a couple of powerful first half shots from his left-foot."

On Zuculini, he reports: "City will complete the signing of Argentinian midfielder Bruno Zuculini for £1.5m when Premier League ratification arrives.

"He is just 21 and new to the squad, but isn't as wet behind the ears as some of the other young faces on the US tour.

"He has played over 100 times in Argentina's top flight having made his Racing Club debut at the age of 16. And it shows.

"Zuculini scored the first goal with a stunning volley and looked like a player well used to senior football.

"Even in open training the day before he was one of the most impressive performers, getting more touches on the ball in the attack v defence and possession drills than many of his more illustrious team-mates."

bruno

However, Simon Jones of the Daily Mail believes Valencia are interested in signing Zuculini on loan.

He reports: "The 21-year-old signed last month for £3million from Racing Club and marked his debut by scoring against Sporting Kansas City in midweek. 

"He was wanted on loan by Malaga as part of the deal that brought Willy Caballero to City while Deportivo La Coruna enquired this week.

"City have already added Porto midfielder Fernando to their ranks this season so may be tempted to allow the youngster to leave."

And finally, moving away from the transfer speculation and the Express share Jesus Navas' warning to the Premier League that he expects a World Cup backlash from City's stars this season.

Steve Brenner states: "The likes of Joe Hart, James Milner, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandinho, Pablo Zabaleta and Sergio Aguero all returned home from Brazil brokenhearted with their dreams shattered.

"And with Spanish duo Jesus Navas and Alvaro Negredo failing to even make Vicente del Bosque's final squad, it was really was a tournament to forget for Manuel Pellegrini's squad.

"Navas, though, thinks all that international disappointment can be transformed into a hunger to succeed which will propel City towards Premier League and Champions League success."

Quoted in the piece, the winger declares: "Winning the Premier League was a dream come true but the downside was not being selected for Spain's World Cup squad.

"Going forward, I will keep on fighting and playing the way I do. With Spain and England not doing well at the World Cup I think there will be more hunger for us to win things this season. The quality is there and that will show.

"We have got enough talent in the team to win the Premier League again hopefully and fight for both trophies. Winning the Champions League would be a dream come true."

That's all for today. Come back to mcfc.co.uk at the same time tomorrow for another round-up of City-related media speculation. In the meantime, have you seen the new away kit?

Like this? Share it.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow