What the Media Says about MCFC 18 July 2014 - Manchester City FC

Accessibility links

Access other Manchester City products

Close



Continue to mcfc.co.uk

Continue to mcfc.co.uk
What the MEDIA says finished
Season 2014/15

Mirror: Richards on Rodgers' radar?

  • 18 July 2014 07:29
  • Posted by @NieldyMCFC

A flick through Friday's paper and pixelated pages of the media for the latest City gossip...

Micah Richards has emerged as a target for Liverpool with The Mirror’s James Nursey reporting that reds boss Brendan Rodgers is seeking a ‘cut-price’ deal for the popular fullback:

“The Premier League champions are listening to offers for defender Richards who has only 12 months left on his contract.

“The versatile defender, 26, capped 13 times by England, only started two League games under Manuel Pellegrini last season.

“Pablo Zabaleta is City's first-choice right-back and they have also added Bacary Sagna on a free.

“Now Richards is set to go and Brendan Rodgers wants to take the defender to Anfield in a cut-price deal.

“Rodgers is attracted by Richards' ability to play right-back and centre-back.

“Arsenal are also monitoring Richards, who came through the ranks at City, but Rodgers hopes to hold talks with him to convince the star to sign.”

Micah

Elsewhere, The Express’ Ben Jefferson appears to have the lowdown on two further incomings to the Etihad Stadium this summer; reckoning that City are not only eyeing a swoop for Everton’s Ross Barkley, but also an AUDACIOUS bid (the capital letters are very important here) for Real Madrid bound Radamel Falcao.

“While City are yet to make any official contact with the Toffees over Barkley, reports suggest they have identified the 20-year-old as their top target to replace (Yaya Toure, if he leaves the club).

“Toure's future at City has been up in the air after he complained they had not acknowledged his birthday and then claimed they had failed to give him time off to spend with his dying brother.

“But it is thought that Toure's representative Dimitri Seluk has contacted City to try and patch things up.

“City have always insisted that they had no intention of letting Toure leave this summer, but the midfielder's antic have grabbed the attention of Liverpool, Chelsea and PSG.

“And that has seen City target Barkley - arguably one of the bright spots of England's dismal World Cup campaign - as the next best thing to holding onto Toure.

“Everton have no desire to sell but a bid in excess of £50m could persuade the Goodison Park to reevaluate.”

And now on the Blues’ potential move for Monaco-man Falcao:

“It was thought that Falcao was on the brink of returning to Madrid - where he played previously for Atletico - to join Real.

“But it now seems those negotiations have hit a snag and reports in France suggest that City are looking to capitalise.

“Indeed, it is suggested that Real are now more focussed on offloading Angel Di Maria and trying to land James Rodriguez, who also plays for Monaco.

And that has seen Falcao's agent Jorge Mendes start looking for alternative destinations for his client, with City thought to be top of his list.

...What The Media Says

As ever, it’s all just rumour and gossip until you see any incomings or outgoings confirmed right here on www.mcfc.co.uk. There’ll be more from the media tomorrow.

This site uses cookies. By clicking allow you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Allow