Express: City told to pay £32m for Benatia
- 27 May 2014 07:49
- Posted by @roline_mcfc
Another day, another heap of City-related transfer speculation. So what's in the headlines this morning?
Let's start with the Express, who believe Roma have slapped a £32million price tag on defender and alleged City target Mehdi Benatia.
Writes Ben Jefferson: "Roma remain hopeful that they can hold onto the 27-year-old who has four years remaining on his current deal.
"But Benatia is keen to renegotiate terms and has reportedly asked Roma to extend his contract until 2019 and double his wages.
"The Serie A club are in no position to meet that demand, with manager Rudi Garcia revealing last week that he didn't want to see any of his players leave but also admitting that Roma could not add to their current wage bill.
"Indeed, while Roma are hopeful that they can fetch £32m for Benatia, it is thought that they may settle for a fee in the region of £28m rather than have an unhappy player on their books.
"A fee in that region could well pique the interest of Manchester United, Arsenal or Manchester City, all of whom have been tracking Benatia's progress.
"Barcelona are also interested in the player, and could beat the Premier League trio to the defender after his agent flew to Spain last week for preliminary talks with the Catalan club.
"But City in particular are in need of a new central defender to partner Vincent Kompany and are the least likely of the three Premier League suitors to be put off by the price tag."
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that one progresses.
According to an article on the website: "The 33-year-old has offers from Everton and Arsenal, but the Hammers are putting together improved terms over a two-year deal.
"Everton have offered Barry about £50,000 a week, while Arsenal’s deal is similar, but Barry knows his playing opportunities would be more limited at the Emirates.
"West Ham are looking to push closer to £65,000 a week and would offer regular football."
Apparently taking their knowledge from French newspaper Le10Sport, they disclose: "The Serbia international featured regularly for Manuel Pellegrini's men last term, helping the club win their second Premier League title.
"However, a switch to France would represent a new challenge for the 28-year-old, who only has 12 months remaining on his current deal.
"Monaco, who are searching for a new manager after the recent sacking of Claudio Ranieri, want to strengthen their side with experience and challenge PSG for the French title."
And finally, EDS goalkeeper Ian Lawlor receives a mention on the SkySports website, as the youngster has been called up to the senior Republic of Ireland squad for the first time, ahead of their upcoming international friendlies.
An article reads: "The 19-year-old, who played for the Under-21s in their friendly draw with the Qatar Olympic team on Saturday, has been drafted in for the games against Italy, Costa Rica and Portugal."
The shot-stopper took to Twitter to share his delight at the news, declaring:
Buzzing to have made my u21 debut tonight in Germany and to be told after the game been called up to the senior squad dream come true 🍀🍀— Ian Lawlor (@Ianlawlor) May 24, 2014
That's all for today. Check back to mcfc.co.uk at the same time tomorrow for another media round-up of the morning's City stories...