City chasing Bundesliga youngster?
- 09 February 2016 07:26
- Posted by @dclayton_mcfc
A Bundesliga rising star, a talented teenager, injury woe and a global superstar link – just your average day in the life of a Manchester City media round-up.
Let’s get straight into the thick of it with a story that is peppered around several tabloids this morning.
City are, apparently, one of several teams keeping a watchful eye on a player who has already featured twice against the Blues earlier in the campaign.
The Daily Star suggest there are other clubs interested as they report: “Manchester United, Manchester City and Juventus are all eyeing a swoop for Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Mahmoud Dahoud.
“The 20-year-old has impressed for the Bundesliga side this season making 28 appearances in all competitions.
“City officials were particularly impressed with the dynamic midfielder in the two Champions League group stage matches he played against them, according to Bild.
“Both Manchester clubs will face tough competition from Serie A champions Juventus for the signature of Dahoud.
“Dahoud's versatility is one of his key qualities as he can play as a deep-lying defensive midfielder or in a more attacking role supporting strikers.”
Moving on to speculation about the fitness of David Silva, who The Mirror believe could be set for a spell on the side-lines – note, there has been no official word from the Club’s medical team as assessments continue.
Nonetheless, the Mirror report: “Silva is facing a battle to be fit for Manchester City’s Capital One Cup final showdown with Liverpool.
“Playmaker Silva limped off towards the end of City's 3-1 defeat at home to Leicester on Saturday with a recurrence of an ankle problem.
“City boss Manuel Pellegrini revealed the Spain international has been playing through the pain barrier in recent weeks in a bid to boost his side's flagging title hopes.
“Silva has suffered with ongoing ankle issues and there are fears his latest injury could see him side-lined for several weeks at a key stage of City's campaign.
“He is desperate to be fit for the February 28 showdown with Liverpool at Wembley, but there is no desire at City to rush him back before he has fully recovered.”
Let’s hope David shakes off the problem as quickly as possible.
Meanwhile, Neymar continues to be linked with the Blues by a number of media outlets.
One of them, the Daily Express write: “Neymar has been urged to reject the advances of Manchester United and Manchester City if he wants to be considered as one of the world’s best players.
“Neymar has been in sensational form for Barca this term, smashing 21 goals in all competitions.
“But despite the ongoing speculation over his future, team-mate Javier Mascherano thinks Neymar shouldn’t contemplate leaving the Nou Camp.
‘Ney is very settled and happy here,’ Mascherano said.
‘I think Barcelona are the ideal club for him if he wants to be among the very best in the world because of our style of play and how hard it is to settle in at a European club, which he has already managed.’”
Finally, as the Blues continue to recruit and nurture some of the world’s most promising youngsters, the Daily Mail suggest City might make an audacious attempt to bring in yet another coveted teen.
Borussia Monchengladbach are again involved, though the parent club is a bit closer to home.
Report the Mail: “Chelsea are determined to keep Andreas Christensen amid interest from other clubs.
“The Danish defender, 19, has impressed during a season-long loan at Borussia Monchengladbach and the Bundesliga club’s sporting director Max Eberl has said they would like to sign him on a permanent deal.
“The Mail have since declared that Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United have been monitoring Christensen but that Chelsea will block any attempt to sign him.”